First elected in 2014, Helena is seeking re-election for a third term to continue to build on her achievements and passionately serve the HCDSB community. She want to be your voice at the board table.
Helena graduated with a BAA from Ryerson in ’86. She is a professional freelance photographer, homemaker, community volunteer, and a motivational speaker on issues relating to education, marriage, and the family. She is also fluent in French and Czech.
With her husband Henry, they have raised their family in Oakville for 32 years in Ward 5. They have 6 children, ages 16 to 33, and 3 grandchildren.
The Karabelas are parishioners of St. Michael’s Church, where Helena serves as a lector.
Her community involvement includes:
– Founder/Coordinator of Lakeside Girls Club for 18 years.
– Founder/Coordinator of the successful Annual Ladies Tea fundraising event for PEV, Promotion of Education and Values, for 10 years.
As a Trustee, Helena served on:
– The Special Education Advisory Committee (SEAC) for 8 years,
– The Catholic Parents Involvement Committee (CPIC) for 4 years,
– Culture of Life Committee for 6 years.
Helena with her husband Henry, their 6 children, her mother and extended family.